Slice of life creations in video and photo format of a New York-based video and documentary producer.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

An Afternoon in Agustino



In a poor neighborhood of Lima, Peru, five local leaders are trying to start a community center for gay and transgender individuals. The president of the center, Cuti, explains what it’s like to be gay in the neighborhood, how he came to open his own beauty shop and why he decided to participate in the project. The group talks about their activities, challenges they face and what they want to do in the future. The ASOCAHU center is a project of the University Cayetano Heredia and the University of California Los Angeles. Its goal is HIV & STI (Sexually Transmitted Infection) prevention in men who have sex with men (MSM).

To support ASOCAHU and similar groups in Peru send an e-mail to: info@epicentro.org.pe.

I had the opportunity to shoot and edit this piece thanks to a good friend who works on this project. It was a rare opportunity to see a side of Lima that I otherwise would never have witnessed. I had always heard about the volleyball games, but never before had a chance to see it first hand. My equipment was limited and in one afternoon it was impossible to capture the full extent of what this group is trying to do. But I hope it conveys at least the sincerity of their actions and the ambition they have to overcome their circumstances. They were so charming to welcome me, feed me and take care of me in my visit, which is to say make sure that nothing happened to me in this somewhat dangerous place. Please consider supporting them if possible.



Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home