Slice of life creations in video and photo format of a New York-based video and documentary producer.

Friday, October 01, 2010

Ms Rice

Today MNN asked me to record an event at a Harlem branch of the New York Public Library called Broadband Comes to Harlem. As I approached the building on the north side of Marcus Garvey Park its bright red flag made a striking impression against the wet gray of this rainy Friday morning. Inside the seemingly newly refurbished library was surprisingly quiet and beautiful (compared to my local Bloomingdale branch), although the gorgeous community room on the third floor was abuzz with activity.
The session was surprisingly informative and I certainly did not expect to hear an FCC commissioner speak with the conviction of a preacher about the digital divide, but then again, this is Harlem, so maybe I should have. 
The woman who brought the event together, Ms. Florence Rice of the Harlem Consumer Education Council, is quite the local powerhouse, and certainly a model of an engaged citizen.
I very much look forward to editing this footage and of course you should come back here to see a video excerpt posted next week.
In other news, wishing my brother in Gig Harbor a very happy birthday! If you need a contractor to build you a large concrete structure in Washington state, or anywhere in the western United States, reach out to him.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home